Re: Fwd: [announce] 2014 spring release

From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 07:40:18 +0100

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:

>> For example, for the execline package: am I right to assume that
>> binaries must be accessible in /package/admin/execline/command/, and
>> that this is the only requisite in order to be compatible with
>> slashpackage, at least when statically compiled? If so, I can cook
>> up a symlink based setup that will be easy to maintain and very
>> lightweight...
>

> Yes, that will work.

Great. This is the simplest solution. It just requires a single extra
dir containing half a dozen simlinks. No need to drop the slashpackage
flag.

>> My initramfs doubles as rescue system (of sorts, anyway)
>

> If your / was read-only, you'd never need a rescue system :P

This is an interesting subject that I would like to see in some web
page! (Hint, hint)

Note that I mount the hard-drive under /slash, and a battery of
symlinks allows to use this transparently (e.g. /usr is a symlink to
/slash/usr etc). In this way, the original (from the distribution)
setup remains whole, and I could boot the standard way if I wanted.
Making / ro requires messing with the original setup---maybe not the
greatest idea.

Jorge