Re: [announce] 2014 spring release

From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 20:43:48 +0100

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Laurent Bercot <ska-skaware_at_skarnet.org> wrote:
> On 15/05/2014 08:36, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> Yes, I remember we talked about it. And my answer was that
> flag-slashpackage will assume hard-coded paths work, because that's
> an important point of slashpackage (if not the whole point). If
> you need relocatable binaries, you should compile *without*
> flag-slashpackage, and that will work: exec will use PATH
> resolution for intra-package dependencies as well as cross-package
> dependencies.
> Just remove flag-slashpackage. You don't need to mess with conf-home.

If I understand correctly, it would be less efficient (I tend to use
execve() rather than execvp() etc in my own little programs; searching
through a path when we already know the location of the binaries is
not appealing to me).
Anyway, I have both /command and /package in the hard-drive based
system, and only /command in the initramfs. So, unless I'm missing
something, setting conf-home seems the best solution. Assuming that
the symlinks in the hard-drive /command dir are up to date, is there
any real inconvenient in hard-coding the paths in the binaries to
/command rather than /package/* ? It seems the best of both worlds...

Jorge